Motability is a charity-led scheme in the UK that enables people to use the mobility allowances they receive from the government to lease a new mobility scooter, motorised wheelchair or Motability car.
Running since 1978, the scheme supports around 650,000 people in the UK, with the main focus to support people with disabilities so they can become more independent and afford a vehicle that can be used each day.
To lease a Motability car, you must be entitled to the UK Motability Scheme.
This mean if you’re a recipient of any of the following mobility allowances from the government and have at least 12 months remaining as a recipient of these allowances, you will be eligible for the Motability Scheme:
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMC DLA)
- Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP)
- War Pensioners Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
This blog will explain how you can get a mobility car that will suit all your needs using the Motability Scheme.
To receive a car, your mobility allowance would be paid monthly to Motability as your contribution towards the car.
Accessing a Motability Scheme Grant can help individuals get a vehicle and/or adaptions to suit their necessities.
However, some individuals may be unable to afford the Advance Payment on a vehicle and the necessary adaptations that they need to be able to access the benefits of the Motability Scheme. Support through a charitable grant from Motability can mean a whole difference to families and beneficiaries to enjoy the freedom and independence that so many of us take for granted.
But what are the Motability grants available?
Grant for Car and Vehicle Adaptions:
The Scheme-Related Grant Programme is one of the most commonly used schemes; it provides financial support to disabled people who want to join the Motability Scheme but need help with the costs of Advance Payments and adaptions.
This specific grant can contribute to making both car adaptions or wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAVs).
Through the Cars and Vehicle Adaptations Grant Programme, Motability currently focuses help towards:
- Advance Payments towards a Motability Scheme car and any adaptations or vehicle manufacturer options necessary to use it;
- Adaptations needed mid-lease for a Scheme vehicle, due to a change in your circumstances; for example, driver’s mobility may have changed and now need different adaptations in order to drive comfortably and safely.
Grants for Motability adaptations:
Alternatively, WAV drivers may require a grant to help with accessing mobility vehicles. The same Scheme-Related Grant can cover any specialist conversions, as Motability recognises WAVs can be expensive and should not be a barrier to independence.
The WAV Grant Programme is to help overcome the costs of:
- Advance Payments towards a WAV lease through the Motability Scheme, along with financial help towards any adaptations or dealer options needed.
- Adaptations for Scheme WAVs needed mid-lease due to a change in your circumstances, for example, if a driver’s mobility has decreased and now needs additional assistance getting into a WAV.
How to apply for a Motability grant
If you’d like to apply for a Grant, you can follow the steps below.
If you find that what you need is not affordable – contact the Motability Customer Services Team who are ready to discuss it further. Motability will discuss personal circumstances and, if they think you may qualify for a Grant, will be able to direct you to an application form.
Once you return the application form along with the supporting documentation needed, Motability will contact you within 48 hours to confirm and discuss the next steps.
Existing customers can also apply for a Charitable Grant.
If you’d like to find out more about Motability at Stoneacre and what cars we have on offer, why not take a look at our dedicated Motability page? Or you can take a look at our Motability FAQ page which will answer many of the questions you may still have.