Finance Q&A - Finance Options

Can I give my car back to the finance company?

I bought a car on finance previously and was wondering if it's possible to return a financed car as I can't afford monthly payments anymore?


Answer from the Stoneacre finance team:

If you want to return a car bought on PCP or HP finance, you can hand it back to the finance company, provided you've paid off at least 50%. However, if it's less than this, you'll need to pay the difference. Don't forget to include all the interest charges and other fees.

Meanwhile, if you’ve used leasing to finance a car, then you may need to pay the remaining sum to refinance the vehicle. 

In the scenario where you've paid off more than half, you can obtain a settlement sum and keep the car or return it. It's important to inform your lender by writing an email or a letter to confirm you want to end the agreement. 

Safely & quickly check your eligibility for car finance

Free soft search finance checker – find out today

piggy bank icon

No deposit required

stopwatch icon

Quick application

shield tick icon

Check with confidence

Search for your next car

We have 1000s of cars to choose from
New & Used