By: Lisa Harper
Planning on setting off on your very own road trip this summer? Our useful guide will provide you with all the information you need to make your journey memorable for all the right reasons.
Preparation is key to any trip but this couldn’t be truer for a road trip. Not only do you need to get together everything you will need for the journey, you also need to make sure your car is set for the adventure. We recommend carrying out some essential car checks before you set off:
- Check the condition of your tyre, making sure the tread is above 1.6mm and that there are no cuts, gouges or uneven wear.
- Ensure all tyres are inflated to the recommended pressure
- Don’t forget to check your spare tyre is in good condition too!
- If your car doesn’t have a spare tyre make sure you are carrying appropriate repair materials, for example a sealant and tyre inflator pack.
If you do need to replace a car tyre, why not take a look at our incredible range of tyres?
While it’s advisable to carry plenty of fluids for you and your passengers you also need to consider your car too! There are multiple fluid levels it is advisable to check prior to embarking on a long journey:
- Engine oil – dipstick the oil to check the level and top it up if required
- Transmission fluid - checking the levels of the transmission fluid periodically can ensure the proper working of the transmission
- Brake fluid – brake fluid deteriorates over time and while it is something that should get checked at service, it is a good idea to check it before a longer journey
- Power steering fluid – an essential fluid to keep your power steering working correctly
- Windscreen washer fluid – for a clear view whatever the weather
- Coolant – most modern cars have a sealed cooling system so shouldn’t need topping up unless there is a leak, however it’s still advisable to check the system before setting off on a long journey
At Stoneacre our Interim service is a cost effective and hassle-free way to make sure your car is in tip top condition for your journey. It includes 50 detailed checks of your car, covering your brakes, steering, engine, clutch, oil filter and essential fluid levels.
Car batteries have a shelf life and the last thing you want to discover mid trip is that your cars battery is on its way out.
Make sure all of your lights including brake lights and indicator lights are working before setting off.
Check your air-conditioning is fully functional before setting off on a journey, especially if you’re heading somewhere hot. It is recommended that your air-conditioning should be recharged approximately every two years. Our Spring car check is the ideal check for your car prior to a long summer trip.
There are a few essentials that we’d recommend keeping in your car for a hassle-free road trip:
- License and registration, fairly obvious but easy to forget
- Your cars manual - an essential should anything go wrong
- Warranty, car insurance and emergency car service contact information
- A fully equipped emergency car tool kit in case you run into difficulties
- An in-car phone charger to keep your phone charged up, unless your car has a wireless phone charging hub
- Spare change - handy for tolls or parking up
- GPS system if your car doesn’t have one built-in
- A paper map - old school we know, but when the GPS lets you down then you need a trusty back up
- A first aid kit
- A torch and spare batteries
- Tissues or wet wipes
- Games to keep everyone entertained
- Music/Audiobooks to suit everyone’s tastes
Need some inspiration for your road trip? Check out our line-up of five of the best places to drive in the UK! Or if you’re planning to head further afield we have great advice on what you need for a European road trip.
Please note we record all our calls to ensure that we give you the service you deserve.
We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners
who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of
their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.
Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us to improve your experience by providing
insights into how the site is being used. For more detailed information on the cookies we use, please
*Your browser is currently set to 'Do Not Track' and therefore some options have been disabled. Please adjust your browser settings to enable these options to be chosen.
The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing
your browser preferences.
These cookies allow our website to remember information that changes the way the site looks or behaves,
so that you can personalise your experience.
We use statistic cookies to monitor page traffic on our website. This information enables us to improve
the website for visitors.
Social cookies allow us to track visits from our social pages and may be used to target adverts based on your social media preferences.
These cookies allow us to understand general customer behaviour and track where you have visited from,
which allows us to monitor the success of our marketing campaigns.
Cookies are small text files that can be used by websites to make a user's experience more efficient.
The law states that we can store cookies on your device if they are strictly necessary for the operation of this site. For all other types of cookies we need your permission.
This site uses different types of cookies. Some cookies are placed by third party services that appear on our pages.
Your consent applies to the following domains: www.stoneacre.co.uk
Cookies are used to analyse web site traffic and are commonly used on the internet to make your browsing more efficient by remembering your preferences and tailoring its operation accordingly. Please be aware that cookies do not harm your system.
These cookies do not give us access to any personal information and although most webs browsers allow cookies they can be turned off if you wish by using your “help” facility. This may prevent you taking full advantage of our web site.