By: Alex Hodgson
- The driving examiner will provide you with a sat-nav which you will have to follow, proving you can follow the instructions while maintaining driving ability, although one in five tests will not use a sat-nav so you will still have to follow road signs. If you go the wrong way whilst taking directions from the navigation system, you will not be penalised - as long as you do not make a mistake whilst doing so.
- The requirement to reverse around a corner is being made redundant - but you should still be taught how to do this by your instructor in case it is needed when out on the roads. The same applies to the three-point turn, which is also being scrapped.
- Instead of the lesser-used manoeuvres mentioned above, you will have to show how you can perform one of the more common reversing manoeuvres which include driving into and out of a parking bay (backwards or forwards) and parallel parking.
- The amount of independent driving is increasing from 10 minutes to 20 so the examiner can see how competent you are using your own driving initiative.
- The examiner will ask you to answer two questions on the safety of your vehicle. For example, how to check tyre pressure or where to find your oil dipstick. You shall also be required to show that you know how to use car controls such as the heated windscreen.
Granted it is a little while until these changes come into place, but if you’re not practising the aforementioned points it may be an idea to mention them to your instructor, in case passing your test takes a bit longer than expected.
What do you think of the revised Driving Test and how much do you believe it will help our future drivers? Let us know on Twitter: @stoneacremotors
Read our top tips for passing your driving test here.
Please note we record all our calls to ensure that we give you the service you deserve.
We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners
who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of
their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.
Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us to improve your experience by providing
insights into how the site is being used. For more detailed information on the cookies we use, please
*Your browser is currently set to 'Do Not Track' and therefore some options have been disabled. Please adjust your browser settings to enable these options to be chosen.
The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing
your browser preferences.
These cookies allow our website to remember information that changes the way the site looks or behaves,
so that you can personalise your experience.
We use statistic cookies to monitor page traffic on our website. This information enables us to improve
the website for visitors.
Social cookies allow us to track visits from our social pages and may be used to target adverts based on your social media preferences.
These cookies allow us to understand general customer behaviour and track where you have visited from,
which allows us to monitor the success of our marketing campaigns.
Cookies are small text files that can be used by websites to make a user's experience more efficient.
The law states that we can store cookies on your device if they are strictly necessary for the operation of this site. For all other types of cookies we need your permission.
This site uses different types of cookies. Some cookies are placed by third party services that appear on our pages.
Your consent applies to the following domains: www.stoneacre.co.uk
Cookies are used to analyse web site traffic and are commonly used on the internet to make your browsing more efficient by remembering your preferences and tailoring its operation accordingly. Please be aware that cookies do not harm your system.
These cookies do not give us access to any personal information and although most webs browsers allow cookies they can be turned off if you wish by using your “help” facility. This may prevent you taking full advantage of our web site.